December 4, 2009

Fever Epidemic

Jungle fever is rampant these days. It goes without saying that you can go to any social setting and you're guaranteed to see black and whites flirting all over the place. It's hard to believe but interracial marriage was not legalized in all of the US up until 1967. Fairly recent. From my own experience, Ive noticed however that it's mostly the black men who are leading these type of relationships. White guys seem stand-offish when it comes to pursuing black women. When African-Americans and Whites marry, there is 2.65 times more likely for it to be a black husband and a white wife. Statistics show that this setup is found in 73% of all black and white marriages.

My theory consists of a few hypothetical reasons.
  • Insecurities: I feel like a lot of white guys might be scared of how their sexual performance might be rated based on all the praise that is placed on a black guy's package. They may not feel as if they can measure up, and it may reduce their level of confidence. They don't feel like a lot of black women are attracted to white men. If you've seen a lot of white men together with a black girl, her behavior is usually considered "white" and her voice may be different or she hangs around a lot of white girls.
  • Intimidation: White guys might simply be intimidated by the sterotypes placed on black females such as their attitude problems, tendency to cause a scene, dominance, etc. Boys from other races have approached me and in the middle of the convo ask if I was mad, when I was in a perfectly happy setting.
  • Bad Connectors: I've found that a lot of white guys do not know how to make a simple connection with me. I feel as if they think making a connection with a white girl is different from making a connection with a black girl. They bring up "black" things or events right off the bat because they feel as if that's a good starting point. Blackboy swag and whiteboy swag are two different things. Don't feel compelled to say certain slang terms just because you're holding a conversation with a black female.

Now Im not saying all white boys are like this. There are surely quite the bunch who know how to swoon ladies of all different races. I think background and where you come from has a lot to do with their method of interaction as well. Black men seem to like a lot of women outside of their race, Asian and White males mainly focus on their own race and Hispanics are a toss-up. Overall, being yourself is the most important thing when meeting someone else. So if you're feeling that black chick over in the corner, in the words of jay-z, "use ya cahonas" (no pun intended). :0)

3 comments:

  1. Very true and convinient post. I recently had a guy after holding a conversation with me say "Dont underestimate me cus im white, I gotta little flavor. I know how to keep a smile on a sisters face"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very true.. I def think that the stereotypes of a black woman does intimidate them because no man wants to feel inferior to their woman, especially because of her race.

    @ModiggityVille that statement is kind of funny but I might have felt some type of way after it was said.. Don't want a guy thinking that because I'm a "sista" that it'll be an even bigger challenge to make me smile.. I'm human say the right things and the smile will always be there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lauren you make good points and Ima let you finish but... WHY you seem to put it on the White dudes? I know alot of black girls will clown a black dude if he is "too white" (another conversation all together), but are black females really even giving them chances like that? *Kanye shrug*

    Just a question..

    ReplyDelete