January 25, 2011

Bleach Lighter, Tan Darker


I wake up to a text reading, "Yo when did Vybz Kartel turn white? lol" and I think of when Blondie from Bad Girls Club yelled "Bleach" a thousand times because Christina had a splashfest with a jug of Clorox after they tried to violate all her personal belongings. Now if you didn't know Vybz Kartel before you glanced at this post, he's a very popular reggae artist. Check his credentials . . . I'm a fan and so are many of other reggae lovers. Which is why I was so disappointed in his quest for a "new look." Aren't people happy with how they are anymore?

Anddddd | drumroll | TO TOP IT OFF, he said that it was no different than white people TANNING!

I had a convo about the situation which resulted in the debate that bleaching your skin isn't very different than an African-American female perming her hair, or people getting tattoos or boob jobs or a Nicki Minaj questionably-sized ass. Although I disagree, I can see the argument from both sides. Changing the color of your skin is less socially acceptable so it'll receive more backlash.

I just think that these stars are sending the wrong message to more impressionable fans, not promoting being comfortable in your own skin. The media stands at the top of the totem pole for many people as a standard to base their fashion and trends on. And I believe that in the music industry, they can give off the impression that lighter is better. There's times I've looked at music videos and noticed female artists getting lighter make-up placed on their faces. Younger generations are experience suicides because they feel so uncomfortable in their own skin due to society's lack of embrace.

We've got to do better.

No comments:

Post a Comment